Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Stressin'

I am starting to get stressed. Did I mention I only got engaged about a week and two days ago?!? Apparently, if I want to get married in October of 2008, Boyfriend should have proposed about 2 months ago. Things are booking up, and right now I am about to go bat shit crazy. I officially begin my reception hall hunt tomorrow at 5pm. But for some reason I feel as though this is too late. I feel like this should have been done, like I should have been BORN with a place to have my reception hall. However, Momzilla and I have it narrowed down to about 4 places: The Hilton, The Marriott, Omni William Penn (my favorite), and Stratigos (mom's favorite). Others were already nixed because of date issues and our extremely obnoxiously massive guest list.

Wedding dresses are another issue for me. In the past week, I went to two different boutiques (both of which are EXTREMELY cheap and I would never buy anything from them) just to try things on to see which style looked best on me. Well apparently, I don’t really have a choice because EVERYTHING is strapless. Which leads to the sales people trying to push them on me. Which then leads to me saying rude comments to them such as this:

Sales Lady: I think strapless looks really good on you! You have great shoulders!

Me: Thanks, that’s why I want an OFF THE SHOULDER dress.

Sales Lady: Well I think strapless looks great on you! What don’t you like about it?

Me: This! *I put up my arm up in the air and jiggle my arm fat*

Sales Lady: Well when is your wedding?

Me: October of next year.

Sales Lady: Well you can go to the gym…..

Me: Excuse me? Ma'am? I am NOT one of those brides that want to loose a gajillion pounds before her wedding day. I think I look hot just the way I am.

*Maid of Honor #1 (aka Favorite Cousin) stares in shock*

I know, I know it was rude. But really, who comments on your fat arm?!?!?! Isn't it your job to tell me I don’t have any? Well, at least the crazy sales lady didn't try to lie to me.

My second trip to another Bridal Shop was just as interesting. A girl that was an absolute space cadet was assigned to me. I don’t think she had any idea where she even was, let alone what she was doing. Maid of Honor #2 (aka Old College Roommate) pointed out that maybe I could try a lace shrug with a strapless dress. I thought this was a great idea. I showed Space Cadet a picture that was just about as tall as I was, that had a model wearing one of these shrugs. She came back with some crazy looking white jacket that was apparently made for an elf. This was not what I was talking about. As you can guess, every dress she brought me I hated. I ended up just giving up, thanking her for her time and leaving her so she could be beamed back up to the mothership she came down from.

So this is it so far. On a brighter note, I entered a contest at the Bridal Expo I went to on Saturday and won 50% off a wedding planner! On a dim note, she's probably going to be booked for when I want her. Apparently I should have started planning for this wedding when Alex and I first met. Did you know Feline AIDS is the #1 killer of domestic cats? Yes, I am a total Debbie Downer today.

2 comments:

Virginia Belle said...

OMG that last line made me laugh out loud!!!

don't stress. if it all becomes too much, just do what my first cousin, once removed did: say "fuck it, let's go to vegas!"

i like the idea of the shrug w/the strapless dress. too bad those salesladies are choads.you need to find a new store.

and WHY are all dresses strapless? i don't get it. i don't want a strapless dress, either. i want to look like a lady, not sexy. i'm not judging, it's just not my style. you know?

cross your fingers i'm not too tall for my grandma's dress. it's pale blue satin. i would have to get rid of the stupid 1940s monster shoulder pads, but otherwise, it's gorgeous.

Meghan (The Declaration of MY Independence) said...

Hahaha the future Mrs. Downer. Good lord, I think I'm getting to that point.

I TOTALLY agree with you about the strapless dress/sexiness thing. Maybe I am a southern girl at heart :)

I am so crossing my fingers for you. Gram's dress sounds gorgeous!